Automation of the employee posting process
RPA use-case on the EU A1 Certificate
von Georgios Charames
Partner | Advisory
12/09/2019 | Frankfurt am Main
The administrative process behind employee postings within the European Union can be quite strenuous and many companies still must go through it manually. However, RPA offers an easy way around the bureaucratic process resulting in vast time and cost savings.
- A posted employee is sent to another EU country for a limited period to provide a specific service.
- According to EU law, “social dumping” and the rights and working conditions of posted employees should be protected. Registration is therefore mandatory.
- Each country can make its own regulations and checks for the registration, e.g. determination of the minimum duration for compulsory registration.
- Before employees are sent to other EU countries, an A1 certificate must be obtained from the respective health insurance company as proof of social insurance contribution.
- For the respective country-specific minimum stay, a registration obligation on the respective country website applies furthermore. The data entry for this is done manually as well.
- The posted employee triggers the process by entering relevant data.
- A bot extracts data from a central HRIS and automatically imports it into the relevant forms for applying for A1 certification and country registration.
- A separate workflow is developed for each country.
- Manual entries are limited to employee identification, country of destination, time period and the corresponding project of the posting.
- This master data is entered via an input mask. A mobile web app can optionally be implemented.
- All other mandatory fields will be filled in automatically and the application will be sent.
- The process run-through time is reduced by up to 90%.
- An FTE saving of 0.5 has been achieved and additional resources have thus been liberated.
The administrative process that will be automated by RPA can be seen in exhibit 1 below:
- For the posting of employees, a posting form must be completed on the respective country website and an A1 certificate must be requested.
- The RPA Bot extracts employee and project data from the HRIS/CRM and then imports them into the online form.
- A separate workflow is developed for each country-specific form to take account of the peculiarities of the forms while the A1 certificate can be requested in parallel.
In general, the RPA Bot can solve the security check (if necessary) independently to save further time of the HR employees. After each form has been generated, the A1 certificate and the country form are filed as a PDF for documentation purposes.
After the project’s implementation, companies should observe a fast return on investment exemplified by FTE savings and process run-through times.
Predicted post-RPA implementation statistics are shown in exhibit 2 including basic key fasts about the RPA projects described:
Where previously manual data maintenance for employee assignments has been required, simple registration with central data storage takes its place and reliefs HR departments with automatic registration processing.
Projects for automizing employee posting might include the following steps:
- Definition of control matrix (including country specifics), when and in which country to report
- Development of a web app for recording transaction data (or mobile app if requested)
- Implementation of the UiPath Bot for automatic data transfer for the identified posting forms of the countries as well as the A1 certificate